• 10 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Temporary domain issue- IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ
« on: April 30, 2017, 09:12:19 PM »
In true dummy fashion, I canceled the hosting on the old host we were on (A Small Orange) so that they wouldn't continue with charging me, without realizing/remembering that the landing page was still being hosted on there. Luckily the forum still works, so from now on until further notice, please go directly to http://forum.worldsmyths.com. Apologies for that screw up. Please let me know if you have any issues accessing the forum, but you shouldn't.

I'm hoping that this is something that can easily be fixed by me/ @Xyem as soon as possible.

Sorry, @Xyem. -___- 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:16:34 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary domain issue- IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 10:25:25 PM »
Regarding the April writing challenge:

Because of my screw up with canceling the domain, the library is currently down, too.

This is totally and completely 100% my fault, and I apologize.

So because of this screw up, here's what we're going to do.

To anyone who hasn't submitted their entries yet and are currently working on it:

You can submit your entry via Google doc (you should be able to do so even without a Google account at docs.google.com) or even a Microsoft Word doc that you can either put into an attachment in a post to this thread or you can e-mail it to me at JediKnightMuse@gmail.com.

For everyone else: hopefully Xyem can help get this fixed for us and we can get the poll for voting posted once that's done. Just for in case, if you can do so, please stick your entry into a Google doc and link us to it so that we can have your entries and get the voting up.

Consider the deadline held off for the moment (until at least Monday night at the very latest, depending on what happens once Xyem is made aware of what happened- yay time zone differences!)

We'll be getting the challenge for May up a.s.a.p, too. (Once I think of a prompt. XD)

Again, I apologize. This is totally my fault and I should have waited, but hopefully we can get this resolved a.s.a.p.

Xyem

• Librarium Developer
  • Global Moderator
  • Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 04:54:26 PM »
Due to the inadvertent (semi-)nuking of the old hosting which we hadn't fully transferred from, the plan has changed (again, such is life in development. Exciting!)

New library entries (and preferably any that were made after the 16th April!) are to be (re)posted into the forum, please. These will be moved into the Librarium later.

Me and Jedi are currently getting the data required for a partial migration from Library to Librarium together (mapping Library accounts to Forum accounts). A fuller migration will happen as Librarium gains the features to support them.

I will then focus on rolling out a version of the Librarium which allows for viewing the entries as a stopgap measure.

As usual, thanks for your patience, it is much appreciated.

EDIT: And then the DNS updates in the wrong order and makes the forum inaccessible for 45 minutes immediately after I make this post. Question is, what will be the third thing to go wrong? :D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:30:57 PM by Xyem »

HSCook

• Journeyman
  • There is no greater power than that in a pen.
    • View Profile
    • The Blood King Chronicles ~ Tales from Cyrell
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
Just for in case, if you can do so, please stick your entry into a Google doc and link us to it so that we can have your entries and get the voting up.

I have no idea where I saved my short. In true spur of the moment fashion, I wrote it in a little over an hour and I was dragged away immediately after finishing. I
think
I saved it and will try to hunt it down but can't be sure that I actually did.  :D

I only wrote it for fun. Not really bothered about the competition itself—it was nice to move away from my usual work and try a prompt.
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

Xyem

• Librarium Developer
  • Global Moderator
  • Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »
(Once I think of a prompt. XD)
Almost unmitigated disaster? :)

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 06:40:36 PM »
Just for in case, if you can do so, please stick your entry into a Google doc and link us to it so that we can have your entries and get the voting up.

I have no idea where I saved my short. In true spur of the moment fashion, I wrote it in a little over an hour and I was dragged away immediately after finishing. I
think
I saved it and will try to hunt it down but can't be sure that I actually did.  :D

I only wrote it for fun. Not really bothered about the competition itself—it was nice to move away from my usual work and try a prompt.

Oh no! I was afraid this would happen. :( I hope you can find it. I always type my challenge entries out in google docs, and then Storms of Magic is in Scrivener. I'm going to be really bummed if we have one less entry because of my stupid mistake. :( 

(Once I think of a prompt. XD)
Almost unmitigated disaster? :)

Ha. That would certainly work! :P

HSCook

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 07:18:55 PM »
Oh no! I was afraid this would happen.  I hope you can find it. I always type my challenge entries out in google docs, and then Storms of Magic is in Scrivener. I'm going to be really bummed if we have one less entry because of my stupid mistake.   

Important stuff is written in Scrivener. Or when I'm thinking halfway straight. I was on my tablet so just cracked open word. Scrivener's autosave saves my hide on a daily basis (especially with dropbox). Word has a much nicer mobile interface than Google Docs, which I only use to share things with others. It is ugly to write in.

Don't be bummed! It'll teach me to be more careful with my work :P
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 07:55:14 PM »
Oh no! I was afraid this would happen.  I hope you can find it. I always type my challenge entries out in google docs, and then Storms of Magic is in Scrivener. I'm going to be really bummed if we have one less entry because of my stupid mistake.   

Important stuff is written in Scrivener. Or when I'm thinking halfway straight. I was on my tablet so just cracked open word. Scrivener's autosave saves my hide on a daily basis (especially with dropbox). Word has a much nicer mobile interface than Google Docs, which I only use to share things with others. It is ugly to write in.

I haven't set it up to have my Scrivener files go directly to Dropbox, but I should figure out how to do that. And I definitely agree about Google Docs. I mainly use Google Docs for stuff like the challenges, and lately for world building/magic system building so that I can share that stuff with a select few.

Yeah, but you had to learn that lesson as a result of me being stupid. :P Silver lining: this actually made me think of a good idea for a discussion topic. :D

ScribblerKat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 11:23:04 PM »
I had trouble with Scrivener and DropBox. Minor, but annoying - I forgot what I did, but after I did it, every new page I started was formatted for a character page. Drove me crazy. Apparently it had something to do with the syncing.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

sapheyerblu

• Librarium Testers
  • Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Graves Publications
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 11:42:27 PM »
I do most everything from my Kindle and can't access Google docs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thought about posting to my website on a private page, but not sure if that's acceptable.

HSCook

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 04:04:57 AM »

I haven't set it up to have my Scrivener files go directly to Dropbox, but I should figure out how to do that. And I definitely agree about Google Docs. I mainly use Google Docs for stuff like the challenges, and lately for world building/magic system building so that I can share that stuff with a select few.

Yeah, but you had to learn that lesson as a result of me being stupid. :P Silver lining: this actually made me think of a good idea for a discussion topic. :D

If you have Dropbox synced to your computer, save your project directly in a DB folder. I also set the backup location to DB.

Don't kick yourself for it. I wasn't exactly invested in the story and generally don't keep prompt writing anyway. It's just a bit of fun.