Your writing software and backup methods of choice

• 18 Replies

HSCook

• Journeyman
  • There is no greater power than that in a pen.
    • View Profile
    • The Blood King Chronicles ~ Tales from Cyrell
Re: Your writing software and backup methods of choice
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »
I stay away from cloud sources similar to Google Drive (Especially Google Drive) If you read the fine print of their terms of service you are basically giving the  rights to what you write to them so that they can use them as they see fit. Yes, I know the chances of them using what you save there for anything that would affect your writing is minimal, but as in all contracts the words are there for them to use. If one day they decide to monetize everything they have stored in Google Drive, there will be little recourse for those who use it.

Roh

Well that's a little concerning. o.O There are a LOT of people out there who write stories that use Google docs, and I imagine there's probably published ones who've used it. What I like the most about Google docs is being able to give someone a link and use the comment feature to get feedback on what I've written. I mean, I can do the same thing with e-mail, but I'd rather use the comment feature, because then people can highlight and link a comment to a specific part of the document, and you can go back and forth with responses without mucking up the flow of the main document.

No. You are all good.  https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2450387?hl=en

It is a very limited scope that they can use anything you store. You retain all intellectual property and it's for marketing/service improvement. They can't publish a novel, for example, and claim ownership.

When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:23:12 PM by HSCook »
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 03:37:15 PM »
That makes sense, and makes me feel better.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Xanxa

• Journeyman
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »
I first started out hand-writing everything since home PCs weren't around at that time.  In the mid 90s I lived in a succession of house-share situations and started using a shared PC to type up my hand-written drafts.  Typing proved to be more efficient for me (as it is for many of us).

After losing an almost-completed novel when the owner of the PC I shared decided to reformat without telling me, I've become obsessive over back-ups.  I don't trust cloud storage and never will.  In the early days, I used floppy disks for daily back-ups, then went on to Zip disks.   Nowadays I use memory sticks (or thumb drives if you prefer) for daily back-ups.  I also have an external hard drive which I hook up every month or so and back up everything on my PC. 

I've never got on with laptops.  If I have to use one, I'll hook up a USB mouse and full-size keyboard. 
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.

True Neutral

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »
I don't do as well typing first because I tend to flow better if I'm not working on a screen, so I nearly always handwrite first and then type it, editing as I type. I may extend a bit beyond what I've written as I type, but I always revert to handwriting. I also don't have a laptop, tablet, or netbook, and I can't exactly bring a full-size tower, mechanical keyboard, mouse, and monitor everywhere with me, so paper is more mobile anyhow. (I don't find laptops comfortable to use, either on a lap or on a table. Either I'm too hunched or my hands are up too high to sit comfortably.)

As for backups, I have two thumb drives. I used to have an external hard drive as well, but my husband decided he needed yet another one and that he was taking mine instead of buying another. Told me he'd replace it. Never did. And I'm not a fan of cloud storage for personal documents. (I don't bother backing up my programs because I DO trust Steam with my games install files, and nearly all of my non-game programs either came with the OS or were free. I paid for...I think two, and they were cheap.)