The Invisible Library Series

• 0 Replies

SecretRock

• Novice
    • View Profile
The Invisible Library Series
« on: May 06, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »
From what I can tell, this series is almost completely unheard of and that is a crime.

The Invisible Library revolves around a woman called Irene, an undercover Librarian who steals books from dimension and time periods and takes them back to a The Library, which exists outside of time and space, to anchor them to one point so they don't drift too far into order or chaos. Dragons are agents of Order, which is nice and safe but incredibly boring and mind-numbingly dull. Fae are agents of Chaos, which is more fun but wipes away human personalities to allow them to be twisted into roles in stories that are really just Fae power plays.

The story starts with Irene being assigned someone to train, Kai, and then the both of them being sent to a steampunk-esque, Sherlock Holmes-esque world to be the live in librarians there. From then it turns into a kind of detective story with a lot of fantasy elements with a bit of British humour.

I really love these books, though I've only read the first two so far. The settings in both are fun, the fantasy creative and easy to understand, and the plots are gripping. Some of the secondary characters can be flat, but they're added to in the second book, and I assume even more in the third. Even so, I got invested in Irene, Kai, and some of the others very quickly.

Overall opinion: they're great, you should read them if you're into this kind of stuff.