Hello from an Aussie!

• 8 Replies

rkcapps

• Novice
    • View Profile
Hello from an Aussie!
« on: May 09, 2017, 03:23:44 AM »
Hi there!

I'd fill out the suggestions but typing isn't easy for me. I had a humongous stroke so I only type with one finger on my left hand. I write when I can as rehab comes first even then it's a slow job but I love the written word so barring rehab, I write.

Look forward to reading some fantasy!

Cheers
Rachel

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from an Aussie!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum, Rachel!

That stroke sounds awful. But kudos to you for still continuing to write, even if you have to do it with one finger. Let us know if you have any questions!

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

ArtemisMorgan

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 10:48:40 AM »
Hey Rachel,

Good on you for sticking to what you love. I had to take medication that made my fingers tremble to the point of being unable to hold a pencil, and it was soul-crushing. Eventually, I worked past it, and i'm glad to hear you're not letting anything stop you!

Are there any speech-recognition softwares you can use to speed up the process? Admittedly, sometimes they're a bit dodgy, but in the meantime it could be a good experience.

ScribblerKat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »
Hello, Rachel, and welcome!  I admire your courage and dedication - you're amazing.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

rkcapps

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 09:00:38 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Other than writing fantasy, I've written a memoir which an Aussie agent is shopping around. I tend not to think "I can't do anything because I've had a stroke" I just get on with it.

ArtemisMorgan that would have been terrifying! Glad your drs sorted. Phew. There was a time I couldn't move anything but I kept up the rehab. Writing is great rehab. For my fingers and mind. love it!

I can't talk unfortunately although after 3 years therapy I say some barely recognisable words my carers understand. There is no way a computer would! lol!

Myffanwy

• Librarium Testers
  • Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 03:17:13 AM »
Cool! I'm not the only Aussie! :)

I'm Julz and I'm from Perth, Western Australia. I am a science fiction writer - usually space stories, etc., however, over the last few years I've been writing down my dreams and some of them are definitely out of the sci fi box - one is about a New York cop and FBI, if you can believe it! Others involve super powers (hehe I reinvented Superman in one of them) and supernatural stuff.

So you could say I'm venturing out of the sci fi box in whatever direction these crazy dreams will take me!

Julz.
I'm in the middle of 15 things, all of them annoying. - Claudia Christian, Babylon 5, J Michael Strazinsky

rkcapps

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 03:20:39 AM »
Welcome Julz! Glad there's another Aussie too!

CMMai

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 08:39:27 PM »
Hello and welcome. I am also an Aussie. It is definitely nice to know there is some people from australia on here. So you can get all confused about the time difference with me .

No One of Consequence

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 02:44:27 AM »
Hello from another Aussie - also in Perth.

Welcome. :)