• 40 Replies

MagicMagor

• Librarium Testers
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly writing challenge feedback - please read/reply
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2017, 01:36:20 AM »
I haven't read the whole thread yet but here are my answers:

What kinds of writing prompts do you usually like?
One that initially spark an idea. Difficult to pin down what makes a prompt that way, but one thing is, i guess, that dialouge prompts (where you are given a certain line of dialouge) aren't very good at it.
Do you like more open ended prompts, or do you prefer more specific prompts?
Open ended. If the prompt is too specific it hampers my creativity and would require more work to get an idea for.
Do you like it when there's more than one prompt to choose from, or do you prefer one prompt?
I prefer one prompt. This also makes it easier to compare different entries seeing how each handeled the prompt. With multiple prompts however the chance is higher that one of them might spark an idea. So i guess both ways are fine.
Do you have any prompt suggestions?
Not really.
Any other feedback you'd like to give regarding the challenges?
The current challenges don't feel like challenges. They are more like timed prompts with a maximum word count, nothing really "challenging". I would wish we had more real challenges, that challenge certain part of my writing ability and forces me to train these parts. Granted coming up with such challenges is hard, harder than coming up with the current prompts but it would be nice if at least some of these challenges could become more specific training exercises rather than just prompts. To start it off with, i will give you two challenge ideas.
Do you have any new challenge suggestions?
  • Take a negative character or personality trait, which you absolutely loathe in real life. Like racism or sexism or something along these lines. Then make the protagonist of a short story have this trait. His trait must become visible during the story and the story can not be about him overcoming this flaw.
    The goal is to learn how to write such characters in a positive way because his background made him so. I find it a lot easier to write characters i like or portray those i don't like in a negative way.
  • Write a conversation between at least two persons. Neither names can be mentioned or say-tags used. The goal is to differentiate the characters just by their own voice.
Title: Tigerhall (WIP)
Word Count : 21,196

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2017, 12:15:14 AM »
I haven't read the whole thread yet but here are my answers:

One that initially spark an idea. Difficult to pin down what makes a prompt that way, but one thing is, i guess, that dialouge prompts (where you are given a certain line of dialouge) aren't very good at it.

Yeah, this is specifically why we haven't done any dialogue prompts in a while. Sometimes dialogue prompts can inspire things, other times it's like "...nope."

Do you like it when there's more than one prompt to choose from, or do you prefer one prompt?
I prefer one prompt. This also makes it easier to compare different entries seeing how each handeled the prompt. With multiple prompts however the chance is higher that one of them might spark an idea. So i guess both ways are fine.

Yeah, I like giving multiple prompts specifically because there's a higher chance of at least one of them sparking an idea. I almost did that with the May challenge and I wish I had, since we've gotten no entries. :|

The current challenges don't feel like challenges. They are more like timed prompts with a maximum word count, nothing really "challenging". I would wish we had more real challenges, that challenge certain part of my writing ability and forces me to train these parts. Granted coming up with such challenges is hard, harder than coming up with the current prompts but it would be nice if at least some of these challenges could become more specific training exercises rather than just prompts. To start it off with, i will give you two challenge ideas.

This is absolutely a fair enough critique, and I agree with it. You're right, the biggest issue is coming up with ideas for challenges that are actually CHALLENGES. I mean, I have ideas for large challenges, but they'd be, like, month long ones (i.e. some kind of a world building challenge, which I haven't figured out the details of), and they'd require commitment from multiple people in order to work. I don't really have any ideas for actual challenges that are along the lines of what you're looking for.  :-\ But the other thing with the kinds of challenges you're looking for is that people have to be interested in those kinds of challenges, and I'm not sure how many people would be interested in them...maybe if we came up with a list of ideas, we could go from there with finding out who'd be interested in us throwing up those kinds of challenges every now and then or something.

• Take a negative character or personality trait, which you absolutely loathe in real life. Like racism or sexism or something along these lines. Then make the protagonist of a short story have this trait. His trait must become visible during the story and the story can not be about him overcoming this flaw.
    The goal is to learn how to write such characters in a positive way because his background made him so. I find it a lot easier to write characters i like or portray those i don't like in a negative way.
  • Write a conversation between at least two persons. Neither names can be mentioned or say-tags used. The goal is to differentiate the characters just by their own voice.

I like the conversation prompt.

Thank you for your feedback. ^_^
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2017, 12:51:55 AM »
Word challenges.
Start your story with a line of dialogue or setting.

Do you like more open-ended prompts, or do you prefer more specific prompts?
It doesn't really matter to me.

I think one prompt work well.

I might be able to come up with some.

Bingo-style type challenges.

I am really too new here to comment on this part.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2017, 12:59:33 AM »
Word challenges.
Start your story with a line of dialogue or setting.

Do you like more open-ended prompts, or do you prefer more specific prompts?
It doesn't really matter to me.

I think one prompt work well.

I might be able to come up with some.

Bingo-style type challenges.

I am really too new here to comment on this part.

Ooh, I like the idea of a bingo type challenge. I'd had an idea for a challenge involving a prompt table with a bunch of different prompts in it, and I'd proposed it several months ago but people basically weren't interested in it, so we decided not to go through with it. But maybe there'd be enough interest now? I need to try and find the post I'd made about it...here it is.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2017, 11:52:47 PM »
Bumping, just to see if we can get any more feedback...

The current challenge has only one entry. I'm curious about whether or not anyone else intends to submit something to it, and if there's some other kind of prompt we can try for the July challenge that may catch people's interests. Most of the prompt ideas that we have a list of are basically for the ones that we've been doing- i.e. seasons or "someone who's supposed to be dead" or dialogue prompts or "write a scene involving a fight of some kind." I realize that while one kind of prompt may work for one person, it may not work for another, so that makes it harder to figure out a prompt that will get responses.

Do you want prompts that are more like "show us your favorite scene from a current project" or "show us a scene where your character faced a fear of theirs" or something? Do you have any ideas for prompts that are more along these lines?

Mostly I'm just spit-balling this 'cause this challenge and the last challenge don't seem to be doing very well as far as getting responses goes, so I'm trying to figure out something for the next challenge/future challenges so that we can maybe get them back on track with getting more entries.

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »
I feel guilty because I just haven't been writing much at all, and what I have been doing has been going toward my novel. I just haven't been in the head space for prompts the last couple of months.

So for me, the problem isn't the prompts. I think they're fine.

Do you want prompts that are more like "show us your favorite scene from a current project" or "show us a scene where your character faced a fear of theirs" or something? Do you have any ideas for prompts that are more along these lines?

Eh, I don't really like these prompts as much. I prefer the ones that are based around a phrase or a theme. And the picture ones!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2017, 09:17:38 PM »
I feel guilty because I just haven't been writing much at all, and what I have been doing has been going toward my novel. I just haven't been in the head space for prompts the last couple of months.

So for me, the problem isn't the prompts. I think they're fine.

Eh, I don't really like these prompts as much. I prefer the ones that are based around a phrase or a theme. And the picture ones!

Yeah, I think that's probably the issue with a lot of people, is that they're focusing on their own projects and don't want to write something else that may work for the prompt, although they do have the option of submitting something that they've already written...but then it's a matter of that something needing to match the prompt that's been given, which isn't always the case.

I do, too, but I thought that maybe prompts like that, at least once in a while, would help with people who are too focused on their current projects to be able to write anything new, and don't have anything that matches the other kind of prompts, like the ones for the June challenge. I dunno.  :-\ it's really hard to pinpoint what kind of prompts we should be giving because everyone enjoys different kinds of prompts. And sometimes the prompts just don't inspire anything.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2017, 01:43:18 PM »
Bumping, because it's been a while and I'm curious to see if any of the newer members, or anyone who didn't respond the last time, has any input regarding the challenges. (Please make sure to read the previous responses, 'cause I think I remember there were some things brought up in this discussion to be aware of.)

Also, right now all we have to offer is a signature graphic for the challenge winners, which I know isn't much...but if someone has any ideas for free/cheap things that we could somehow offer as 'prizes,' I'm open to suggestions. I think it'd be neat to have bookmarks for Worldsmyths made, but there are some logistics we'd have to figure out (i.e. which site would be best and cheapest to use for printing). The other thing is that I'd probably like to see the community become a bit more active before we get to the point of offering any kind of prize beyond a graphic.

Manu

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Beta Reading Profile: Available, but not a native speaker.
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »
Any, really.

Depends totally on the prompt and on my mood. In general, more specific ones tend to spark inspiration slightly better for me. That's not always the case, though.

Maybe one open ended and one specific prompt would be a good combination?

I've recently done the creative writing online course on Futurelearn, they had a couple of interesting exercises. Here are some:
  • Write one paragraph that contains 3 facts and 1 fictitous element, and one paragraph containing 3 fictitious elements and 1 fact. Post them, and see if others can tell which is which.
  • Observe people in public places, and make characters based on them. Appearance will be based on what you observe, background, goals etc. will be made up.
  • Turn on the radio. The first thing you hear will be your writing prompt.

Since I'm new, not yet.
This user is not a native English speaker. Her grammar may vary dependant on time of the day, level of sleep deprivation and amount of caffeine consumed.

HSCook

• Journeyman
  • There is no greater power than that in a pen.
    • View Profile
    • The Blood King Chronicles ~ Tales from Cyrell
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 05:49:25 AM »
Sorry I have been inactive of late. I kinda... broke for a while.

Anyway, just thought, what about the ten word challenge. The task is to write a paragraph or two, usually humorous, which must contain ten really random and obscure words somewhere.

A chat room I used to frequent did t this a lot... The users would give a random word and the first ten provided would be the prompt. Do much weirdness ensued. And it's only a paragraph or two, probably no more than 500 words and often a lot less. They weren't meant to be things you thought out or laboured over, but rather a quick entry to get writing juices flowing.
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
The ten word challenge might be something fun to do as a quick challenge rather than a monthly one :) I like that idea!