How is everyone doing in the writing world?

• 19 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: How is everyone doing in the writing world?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 11:06:28 AM »
-Facepalm-

You'd think I'd have learned by now not to leave things off in the middle of a sentence when working on a story, especially if you may not get back to writing right away.

I'm waiting to get ready for my graduation tonight, and I opened up Scrivener to try and get some more progress made. This is the last sentence I wrote:
“You’ll want to keep that coin close. Go to the western edge of the city and ask for someone named [name]

I DON'T REMEMBER WHERE I WAS GOING WITH THIS. Like, I know I didn't have the name figured out already, but I...don't really remember why he had to go to the western edge of the city to ask for this dude. I mean, I know why, but I don't...remember if there was anything specific I was going to have him say after where I left off? -___- #writerproblems

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

ScribblerKat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 11:50:18 AM »
You'd think I'd have learned by now not to leave things off in the middle of a sentence when working on a story, especially if you may not get back to writing right away

I have so been-there-done-this. So now I always make a quick note about where I'm going with the scene before I close the file.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

JayLee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 09:57:41 AM »
You'd think I'd have learned by now not to leave things off in the middle of a sentence when working on a story, especially if you may not get back to writing right away

I have so been-there-done-this. So now I always make a quick note about where I'm going with the scene before I close the file.

Haha, yes. This is familiar :) It hasn't happened in a long time though, as I usually type fast enough to splutter out a few last words, even when time is cut off. Back when it was a regular occurance though, I usually just scrapped the sentence and started over, and my new route tended to be better than what I had in mind :)

I don't think I actually responded to this post with an answer about how I was doing in the writing world.... Alas I haven't written anything in months and it's driving me bonkers. It makes me very unhappy. I have plans (lots and lots of plans) for my next project, but I had finals, I graduated, I started an internship, moved back in with my parents for the duration of my internship since they live right around the corner (and they don't really understand that I need to sit down and write for a few hours a day to keep balanced), and I've had a few editing clients.... so my own creative endeavors have completely ground to a halt as of mid-last week. It makes me feel so frustrated. All I want to do is write... but it's a time commitment for sure :( However, I have plotted out a backstory for Aevum in my brain! I finally figured out why the non-linear plot is so important, and how  Aevum's past plays a role in the overall story, and that had been bugging me for months! Plotting is better than nothing, I suppose :)
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
 http://paperweighteditorial.tumblr.com/

ScribblerKat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 09:16:50 PM »
Update on my status - today I finished the edit/rewrite for my second Vale book, Gifts of the Elven.   :D   Now it goes to my beta readers.

Of course, the first book hasn't moved up my publisher's queue yet, but who knows? Maybe with two of them done, I'll get bumped up the list.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 10:53:35 PM »

Haha, yes. This is familiar :) It hasn't happened in a long time though, as I usually type fast enough to splutter out a few last words, even when time is cut off. Back when it was a regular occurance though, I usually just scrapped the sentence and started over, and my new route tended to be better than what I had in mind :)

I don't think I actually responded to this post with an answer about how I was doing in the writing world.... Alas I haven't written anything in months and it's driving me bonkers. It makes me very unhappy. I have plans (lots and lots of plans) for my next project, but I had finals, I graduated, I started an internship, moved back in with my parents for the duration of my internship since they live right around the corner (and they don't really understand that I need to sit down and write for a few hours a day to keep balanced), and I've had a few editing clients.... so my own creative endeavors have completely ground to a halt as of mid-last week. It makes me feel so frustrated. All I want to do is write... but it's a time commitment for sure :( However, I have plotted out a backstory for Aevum in my brain! I finally figured out why the non-linear plot is so important, and how  Aevum's past plays a role in the overall story, and that had been bugging me for months! Plotting is better than nothing, I suppose :)

Yeah, I should have made a note before I stopped typing and I didn't.  :-\ So annoying. But maybe I'll end up doing what @JayLee said and will scrape the sentence and start over. I've definitely done that before in the past, and have ended up with sentences that are better than what I'd originally written, so here's hoping.

I totally hear you, @JayLee, on being driven bonkers because of not writing. I was dealing with that all through school last semester. I wanted to work on Storms of Magic, but I was so busy with schoolwork that by the time I actually had a free moment to possibly work on it, my brain was just like o_____o nope and just wanted to veg out and not think about being creative, because ALL I DID for homework and projects and such was be creative. Even now, I'm kind of feeling it. I don't have to work until (freaking) noontime tomorrow, but my brain is going o___o at the thought of trying to do any writing at the moment...so I most likely won't be tonight. Maybe tomorrow after work. Yay procrastination.

Storms of Magic - Draft 1