Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
May Monthly Writing Challenge
« on: May 01, 2017, 11:27:53 PM »

May Writing Challenge

Prompt: This prompt was suggested by one of our members, @sapheyerblu! Your prompt is to write about a maiden voyage. You can interpret this as you need to- it doesn't necessarily need to involve a ship, or even be an actual voyage. It could basically also be interpreted as being a journey. It can basically be literal or metaphorical. We'll leave the interpretation up to you!

If this prompt doesn't inspire anyone, let us know and we'll add a second prompt. But hopefully this will be challenging enough to inspire everyone without needing to add a second prompt!

Wordcount: 5,000 word maximum. Please remember, this is just a maximum, meaning that you do NOT have to write 5,000 words, it just means that you can't surpass it.
Submission deadline: Sunday, 31st May, by 11:59 PM GMT-5 (11:59 PM EDT).

If you already have something written that fits this prompt, you CAN and are encouraged to submit it to the challenge.

Voting will be posted on Thursday, 1st June, followed by the June challenge prompt.

All entries should be submitted to the writing challenge submission forum, using the submission form. You are allowed to submit your challenge via Google doc link or by uploading a Word doc to a response to this post as an attachment.

Remember, all entries must fit the fantasy genre and must fit the given prompt in some way.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask either here in the thread or send me a PM! Good luck!

Please respond to this post with the following information filled out in order to submit your entry:

Code: [Select]
[b]Title:[/b]
[b]Word count:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b]
[b]Link to story:[/b]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:29:54 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: May Monthly Writing Challenge
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 10:06:20 PM »
Anyone planning on writing for this one? :P Let us know and we can add in a second prompt if people reaaaaaaaaaaally want one and aren't particularly inspired by this one.

HSCook

• Journeyman
  • There is no greater power than that in a pen.
    • View Profile
    • The Blood King Chronicles ~ Tales from Cyrell
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 01:07:29 AM »
Anyone planning on writing for this one? :P Let us know and we can add in a second prompt if people reaaaaaaaaaaally want one and aren't particularly inspired by this one.
Maybe. Not sure yet but it is still very early in the month. Tricky prompt. It's a little too broad to say 'journey in general' (little to focus on) but not something I work well with on a narrower front.

I may yet give it a go. Whatever I write for prompts has a two-to-three hour limit so it won't take long to try.

A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

MagicMagor

• Librarium Testers
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 08:15:15 AM »
I currently have an idea for the prompt brewing in my head. Chances are i'm going to submit something this month.
Title: Tigerhall (WIP)
Word Count : 21,196

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 09:12:14 PM »
Maybe. Not sure yet but it is still very early in the month. Tricky prompt. It's a little too broad to say 'journey in general' (little to focus on) but not something I work well with on a narrower front.

I may yet give it a go. Whatever I write for prompts has a two-to-three hour limit so it won't take long to try.

Yeah, the fact that it's tricky and it's so broad makes it harder, definitely. I admit that even I'm having a hard time figuring out what I could possibly write. I mean...I know what I could PROBABLY write...but it would mean using a character (Emerlyn) whose head I haven't gotten into because I've been focusing on Arris and Merek, and I'm kind of nervous that if I try writing in Emerlyn's head, it'll be harder to focus on Arris and Merek again.

I could try and come up with an entirely different idea NOT involving Arris/Merek/any of those characters, but I'm kind of nervous that I'd do my usual thing and write something else and then try and go back to Storms of Magic and get frustrated/end up giving up...and I've been working on this story for too long (since toward the end of last summer) to let that happen. But I might not have a choice...I might have to look through my idea journals and see if anything jumps out at me that would work for this prompt.

I currently have an idea for the prompt brewing in my head. Chances are i'm going to submit something this month.

Yay! Wish I had an idea. I have none. -__- I mean, I kind of do, like I said, but...I don't really want to have to go with that one. I have a feeling I might get stuck on it and get frustrated.

CMMai

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 04:28:29 AM »
After reading a few source resources on the forum i have got myself in to a bit of a slump. I am doubting and questioning my story. I am determined to get over the problem and need to push through and get into a rhythm again. But fear has made me procrastinate and i have not written much in the last 2 weeks.
So as of now i am going to skip May challenge. If i get an idea though i might change my mind.

GeneBWell

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 03:45:04 PM »
This is actually a perfect prompt for a novel idea I've been trying to hammer out. It'll be the perfect chance to 'test drive' the setting and MC. I'll definitely have a submission for this one.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 09:35:24 PM »
This is actually a perfect prompt for a novel idea I've been trying to hammer out. It'll be the perfect chance to 'test drive' the setting and MC. I'll definitely have a submission for this one.

Yay! Glad it's going to work for you!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »
Bump! We've got about eleven days left for this challenge. I know this was a hard prompt but I hope that we can get at least a few entries out of it, even if it's not as many as we usually get!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 10:44:29 PM »
Bump! Four more days to get your entries in! Anyone planning on submitting to this one, or is this going to be a dud challenge? :O

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 12:19:37 AM »
This challenge is officially closed. I'm bummed that no one submitted.  :-\ Hopefully the June one will be better! Silver will be posting it, so be on the look out!