Poll

Would you be interested in a chat box of some kind?

Sure!
1 (12.5%)
No, I wouldn't use it
4 (50%)
Other (will reply)
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Cbox poll (again)

• 6 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Cbox poll (again)
« on: July 02, 2017, 07:27:52 PM »
A member recently asked us if we had a chat box or if there would be any interest in one. For those who've joined in the last several months, we used to have one and then we ended up deciding to get rid of it because it wasn't really being used that often.

Some possible options:

• Cbox.ws- $11.00/6 months, which I don't mind paying at all. It makes noises when someone says something and there's a separate window link so you can be in a tab on the site and have the cbox open, or not on the site at all and have the cbox tab open.
  • Skype- it would mean having to download it onto your computer and/or phone but it's an option. There wouldn't be a way to put a link to the chat on the site (as far as I know) so we'd have to have people ask for invites but that works.
  • Team Speak- @Xyem told me about this. It's also a download, but there's a chat version of it that we could use. We could create a custom server that can be hosted locally rather than on a Discord server.

I refuse to use Chatango because it's really not that great- plus, I used to get messages from random people on there.

If you have any other suggestions for another option, let me know. I imagine that the results of this poll are going to pretty much be the same as the last time we did a poll for it, but I'm curious to see what people think, anyway. What do you guys think?
Current total goal: 25,000
July Camp Goal: 15,000 (4,474=difference needed to get to 15k)

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

Silver

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Cbox poll (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »
I responded 'Other' - because it's one of those things I am neutral about. I may use it sometimes, if we had one, but I couldn't say for sure.

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 03:56:43 PM »
I'm in the same boat. I used it a bit when we had one but I don't know how much I'd use it if it came back.

Amblygon

• Novice
  • Kris
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 12:16:49 PM »
I responded Other. I'd probably use a c-box sometimes - I remember having loads of great conversations via c-box many years ago and it can be a lot of fun to speak to people who are online at the same time about random stuff. I wouldn't use Skype. I'm hesitant about Team Speak - my understanding is that it's generally used for talking via a microphone. A chat version could be fun (and probably easier for chatting than a c-box), but I'm worried that people (ahem...I mean I) would be too shy to chat there.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 01:28:34 AM »
I responded Other. I'd probably use a c-box sometimes - I remember having loads of great conversations via c-box many years ago and it can be a lot of fun to speak to people who are online at the same time about random stuff. I wouldn't use Skype. I'm hesitant about Team Speak - my understanding is that it's generally used for talking via a microphone. A chat version could be fun (and probably easier for chatting than a c-box), but I'm worried that people (ahem...I mean I) would be too shy to chat there.

Team Speak does have a chat version where you don't have to use the voice part of it. I've never actually used it 'cause I've only used it once so far - I'd never heard of it until a few months ago - but I would never want to put people in the position of having to use their voice to be able to chat if they weren't comfortable with it. I don't really like doing voice chat, either, and I do it for rare occasions.

Honestly the cbox would actually probably be easier than Team Speak because Team Speak requires a download, whereas the cbox is literally just embedded into the forum layout somewhere and then there's also a link that leads to the full version of the cbox that people can use so that they can keep the cbox window open while doing non-Worldsmyths things, and it makes a noise when someone says something (though sometimes you have to hit refresh even though it should auto refresh).

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:46:06 AM »
I think Xyem said you can do teamspeak via the web? So you wouldn't have to download.

You definitely don't have to talk via microphone if you dont want to. I have used it and only text talked. I'm too shy to talk over the microphone.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 02:28:01 AM »
I think Xyem said you can do teamspeak via the web? So you wouldn't have to download.

You definitely don't have to talk via microphone if you dont want to. I have used it and only text talked. I'm too shy to talk over the microphone.

I don't know why I keep forgetting that. :P I've only done the download, so that's what made me think it was download only.