kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
Early vs Late Story Characterization
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:15:19 AM »
Do you ever find that when you get deeper into a story a character's characterization really seems to solidify, but that it's not as strong at the beginning of the story? How do you handle it, if so? Do you go back to the beginning and work in some of the quirks you've figured out?

And is tracking characterization very natural to you, or do you have to think about it? If you're like me and worry about your characterization consistency, what do you do to alleviate those worries?

For instance, I've already decided that when I eventually get back to writing, I'm going to do some character color-coding and check through for quirks and speech styles etc that turn up for them, try to make sure they're distinct.

CMMai

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Early vs Late Story Characterization
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 07:53:14 AM »
When it come to my characters i try to put myself into each and every character asking how do the feel how would they react. They evolve every day. I do intend to tidy up their personalities and their quirks when i do my edits. As for the consistency i worry about about that also it is a big reason why i have slowed down in my writing progress.

ScribblerKat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 12:13:57 PM »
I usually have a good handle on my characters before I start writing. But if I do notice a character developing in a different way, that's great, I let it happen. And I do go back and correct the earlier pages to accommodate that change.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »
When it come to my characters i try to put myself into each and every character asking how do the feel how would they react. They evolve every day. I do intend to tidy up their personalities and their quirks when i do my edits. As for the consistency i worry about about that also it is a big reason why i have slowed down in my writing progress.

Characterization can stall or derail my writing >< I find it doesn't usually slow me, but sometimes I'll find myself wanting to do such major character overhauls that a rewrite feels easier than revising, so I start over. I'm trying to break that habit (or I would be if I were in a place I could write reliably at the moment).

ScribblerKat, are you more of a character-driven writer? It seems like it would fit based on what you've said. If so, I'm a bit jealous!

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »
Do you ever find that when you get deeper into a story a character's characterization really seems to solidify, but that it's not as strong at the beginning of the story? How do you handle it, if so? Do you go back to the beginning and work in some of the quirks you've figured out?
Usually what happens is that I have a particular scene in my head playing out when I write, almost like I'm watching a movie in my head. I can see what the characters are doing, and I can imagine what they might be thinking at the moment. In some cases I know their backstory as well. But other than that, deeper characterization is something I tend to discover later.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 06:21:46 PM »
I have character sheets that I make for every one of my characters, which has their background information plus all kinds of other stuff, it is what I use to guide myself through the story when I am writing.

ScribblerKat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »
ScribblerKat, are you more of a character-driven writer? It seems like it would fit based on what you've said. If so, I'm a bit jealous!

Yes, I am. And I think it makes writing more fun, as every day I'm not 100% sure what my characters are going to say. But don't envy me. I spend a month or more just outlining, and my plots are still weak.

Amblygon

• Novice
  • Kris
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »
I'm more of a character-driven writer as well. I usually feel like I never quite know what my characters are going to say or do, and I also struggle with weak plots. I'm quite jealous of people who can summarise their plot and have it sound super exciting. :D I guess if I tried to explain my process, I would say it's about getting a "flavour" for the character. Once you get that, you can prod them into situations, and you start to have a really strong feel for which reactions would be natural for them and which would be totally out of character for them. Perhaps I would face more characterisation issues if I got further into my stories...

ScribblerKat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 06:26:19 PM »
Amblygon, I know exactly what you mean!