Feedback needed: activity stream/current forum set up (please read/reply)

• 6 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
So I know of at least two people who've been having issues with the activity stream - i.e, sometimes it doesn't update either after a short or a long while. This isn't something that I've specifically had an issue with as far as I can tell- the only thing I've had an issue with is notifications (which, is anyone else having THAT issue? I have it so that I should get e-mail notifications, but lately I haven't always gotten them and they don't even go into my spam folder or anything)- but I know of at least two people that it's effecting.

Is anyone else noticing this issue, or any other kind of issue, with the activity stream? If a lot of people are having an issue with it, I'll go to the support forum for the site we got the stream from and ask about it, but I need to know if anyone else is having issues as well.

My other question is in regards to the navigation of the forum- i.e. being able to find specific forums, or just the forums that aren't being used as much in general. I know that right now there's a bit of an awkward setup with the writing challenges/story submissions in general due to the fact that we lost the old library site, so I'll work on trying to rearrange things so it's not as awkward.

I know I, for one, would really like to see more posts being made in the forum for discussing the fantasy genre (this one), but admittedly I really don't have any ideas for topics. If this is a forum that you think we should keep (which, since it was requested and it IS a good thing to have, I do think we should keep it), I encourage you to try and come up with a topic for discussion that would work in that section.

Are there any other forums that you think could be condensed together, due to the lack of topics, or due to the topics being similar or anything? Has anyone else had any issues navigating the forum just in general?

I THINK that's all I wanted to ask. Please reply with any thoughts you have regarding these two things so that we can work on fixing them.
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

ScribblerKat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
My activity stream has been fine, as far as I know. And I haven't had any trouble navigating the forum. (The "Recent Unread Topics" is a big help.

Definitely keep the fantasy forum! That's why I'm here!

You're forgiven for the library problem. I know you'll fix it.

I haven't been here long enough to have opinions of the topics, but so far, they've seemed fine to me.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

rkcapps

• Novice
    • View Profile
I think my activity stream works. I know I'd like to receive notifications when a new comment is made in a thread I've commenting but I think that's a user thing (I need to find where it is! lol!) it's not a forum issue.

All else seems fine to me but I'm happy with your call :)

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
My activity stream has been fine, as far as I know. And I haven't had any trouble navigating the forum. (The "Recent Unread Topics" is a big help.

Definitely keep the fantasy forum! That's why I'm here!

You're forgiven for the library problem. I know you'll fix it.

I haven't been here long enough to have opinions of the topics, but so far, they've seemed fine to me.

Well the entire forum itself is for discussing fantasy, not just the "the fantasy genre" forum. :P But we were hoping that more discussions about the genre itself and not the actual writing part of it would come up, and so far that section's been a bit empty. But if you have any ideas for it, feel free to post something.

I think my activity stream works. I know I'd like to receive notifications when a new comment is made in a thread I've commenting but I think that's a user thing (I need to find where it is! lol!) it's not a forum issue.

All else seems fine to me but I'm happy with your call :)

Ah, yeah, that's an easy thing to set up. :)

Hover your mouse over "profile" in the menu>account settings>modify profile>notifications>check off all three of the top choices regarding newsletters, turn notification on when replying to a topic and the one about sending emails, and then choose from the drop down menu which option you want (instant notification, daily, weekly, etc). You should be all set once you do those things. :)

Hm. I'm wondering if it's just two specific people that are having the issue with the activity stream? Which may make it harder to get fixed.

Please keep replying and let me know whether you're having any issues with the stream! And also if you have any feedback regarding the forum's current layout of forums.

My Activity Stream is working just fine for me. I haven't noticed any issues there. As far as the email notifications I haven't noticed any problems there, but I don't check my email all that much as of late. I know I probably should but I don't LOL.

As far as the fantasy thread, I haven't gone through it completely because I am still fairly new but I think you should keep it. As far as everything else goes I don't have any suggestions yet because I haven't been here long enough! :D

MagicMagor

• Librarium Testers
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
I never noticed any problems with the activity stream - and i like it. It's a nice little feature.

As far as condensing the amount of subforums: How about joining the writing challenge and writing prompts-forum? Especially the challenge forum seems a bit redundant because each month it usually only contains a single thread - that months challenge.
Instead we could have all the prompt-threads from the prompt-forum and just sticky the challenge-thread each month. (Since it will be at most two, the challenge itself and the voting) In that way we would have only one forum to go to, if we require inspiration. And maybe it might even prompt more people to participate in the challenge, if they just seek a normal prompt but then see the challenge-thread.
Title: Tigerhall (WIP)
Word Count : 21,196

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Hm. So it must just be @Sheepy-Pie and @Xyem that are having the issues...interesting. Maybe it's something with their browsers or something, I dunno.

Well, I would think about combining those two forums, but first I need to see what the finalized version of the Librarium looks like...I have no idea if it's even going to be a thing or not, but I'm hoping that there's going to be a feature on the Librarium that'll kind of be a prompt generator, where it rotates through random prompts that we (the staff) enter into it, and then it'll have a link that says "reply to this prompt!" and bring you to a new document to write the prompt response in, and it'll automatically be tagged with "prompt response." Again, I have no idea if it's even going to be a possibility, but I added it onto our list of features that we're hoping for, so...hopefully it can work.

Otherwise...I'm not really fond of the idea of combining those two sections together. Honestly, the ONLY reason (okay, maybe not the ONLY reason, but the MAIN reason) I haven't been posting more writing prompts in that forum is because I've been waiting for the Librarium to be finished, because I'm HOPING that people will be more likely to respond to the prompts in that section, even if the feature I described isn't possible. Right now, the writing prompts are pretty underused, and I don't know if I wanna stick the writing challenges in the same forum as them. Plus, organizationally, I'd rather have them separate 'cause I'm weird. :P

:-\ I wish I knew what to do to make the prompts for the challenges less redundant. The problem is that what works for one person as a prompt may not work for the next person as a prompt, and that one person it doesn't work for might decide not to participate because of that. But I, at least, thought that the prompts were working fairly well for the challenges so far, though I can see why they'd be getting redundant at this point. I've struggled trying to come up with other prompts that aren't the same thing over and over again, just to be able to keep people's interest. I think you're right that it's kind of become redundant, especially 'cause we only have one submission to the current challenge. I really need to think about something to write for it.