Is it real ife, or is it fantasy?

• 7 Replies

Arc

• Librarium Testers
  • Novice
    • View Profile
Is it real ife, or is it fantasy?
« on: January 22, 2017, 08:23:25 PM »
So I've been wondering something for a while. This site has a list of so many different fantasy genres, which leads me to the question. What exactly is fantasy? For instance, is SW fantasy and if so, why. Is it the space magic? What is the line between fantasy and sci-fi or alternative fiction?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:42:31 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: Is it real ife, or is it fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »
I would say that Star Wars is mostly science fiction because of its setting- the use of space as a setting is very science fiction-y, as is the use of aliens and different planets and that, yes, the space magic is what gives it the fantasy element.

I haven't read enough of fantasy or science fiction (I mean, I think the only science fiction I've read is actually the Star Wars books) to know where the line is drawn and what qualifies as alternative fiction.
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

Becca

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:03:55 PM »
I think science fiction is a form of fantasy, so while it's distinct from other subgenres, I think calling it fantasy wouldn't be crazy. I don't really know what alternative fiction entails... I just consider things fantasy if there is anything that couldn't take place in the world we live in... So, even if it takes place on earth, if it has some form of "magic", like time traveling, or if it's dystopian future, or if it has superheroes, then it's fantasy. If it's a slice of life story about a teenager in high school, not fantasy. If it's a romance novel with non-paranormal character, not fantasy. Same for historical fiction. I get that I'm being a tad broad with my "couldn't take place in our world" thing, but that's the best way I can think to describe it.

MagicMagor

• Librarium Testers
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:45:22 AM »
There is no hard line between these genres. Star Wars could be classified as Science Fantasy, due to the "Force" being very magic like but because of the setting it is generally considered science fiction.
For me the setting is in this case the most important aspect to determine the genre. If it heavily focuses on technology that is more advanced than ours - science fiction. If it takes place on a completly different world with similar or less technology than ours, than i lean more toward calling it fantasy, especially if it includes something impossible like magic.

I think the best way to think about it is that genres are mostly tools for marketing, not so much for writing. Stories that border several genres are possible and in that case one has to think to which audience the book appeals the most and then market it accordingly. But there is nothing wrong in saying a book might belong in science fiction and fantasy, because again there are no hard lines.
Title: Tigerhall (WIP)
Word Count : 21,196

briari hallow

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »
I think for the most part the definition of fantasy here involves some sort of inexplainable force. Horror counts. Magical Realism counts. I think the main idea is the writer acknowledging this is not based on the world we know to be true. So I can write a fiction piece about a girl in the city who reads tarot cards - and as long as those tarot cards function in a way that the writer believes is real, it would merely be fiction. But, if the writer was like "The tarot is literally magic" then it's fantasy, despite being real-world and following all of our other rules. 

JayLee

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »
I agree with everyone saying that there are pretty much no hard lines. Fantasy and Science fiction are allowed an incredible amount of crossover that seem to be lacking in other genres. The point of this being, I think, that both genres are intended to introduce concepts that we aren't familiar with in our world. But one focuses on taking those concepts that we are unfamiliar with and describing and defining them with science, saying that the characters of the book understand them, while the other is often chalked up to lacking an explanation or being impossible to truly understand. For me that is where I begin to draw line somewhat. If, like the force, there is a scientific explanation for how it works and why people can tap into it, then it can be called solid science fiction if it is so desired. What is magic, but science we don't have a name for yet. But still, I love books that bring science fiction and fantasy together in a unique blend and allow that line to be as hazy as one could desire.
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/

Silver

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »
I agree that there isn't a clear line between fantasy and sci-fi - or fantasy and several other genres. I believe that horror books and movies sometimes contain elements of fantasy, for sure.

My own personal definition is that science fiction is based more or less on fact. Like, we know space travel is possible and maybe one day we will have machines that are more advanced and we might find life on other planets. Whereas fantasy has more of a mythical element to it, like stumbling a sleeping dragon or finding a doorway to another world. Or like Harry Potter where you have parallel worlds. 

True Neutral

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 04:57:17 AM »
Science fiction and fantasy are both speculative fiction. Part of the horror genre is also spec fic. (Does it have something that doesn't exist in real life? Then it's some form of spec fic.) They bleed into one another pretty heavily, even when it's not a straight-up crossover subgenre like sci-fantasy. Are vampires pure horror or can they be found in fantasy as well? What about an alien race in sci-fi that has a power-draining, blood-sucking, or undead element to it, particularly if it's also nocturnal?