• 0 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
The Hero/Heroine Trope Discussion
« on: June 22, 2017, 11:13:19 AM »
Okay, so I figured we could start with one of the obvious tropes: the hero/heroine.

Buffy, Luke Skywalker, Jon Snow, Harry Potter...they all have one thing in common: none of them ever wanted to be a hero. Buffy just wanted to be a cheerleader. Luke wanted to get off of Tatooine, but it's doubtful he ever thought he'd be blowing up the Death Star and become a Jedi. Jon Snow just wanted to be someone, which meant joining the Brothers of the Night's Watch. Harry Potter literally says, "I can't be a wizard. I'm...just...Harry. Just Harry!" He was content to being emotionally abused by his aunt and uncle for the rest of his life until Hagrid showed up and changed his life.

What other hero/heroine examples can you think of in literature, film, and any other media?
Who are your favorite hero/heroine characters?
What about your projects- who are the hero/heroine characters of YOUR stories?

My current project doesn't really have an obvious hero at the moment...that's partially because I didn't set it up with "the hero's journey," partially because I never thought of Arris and Merek being heroes, partially because I don't think I have anything planned in the project that actually makes them heroes, really....at least not at the moment.

I honestly don't know if I can think of any past projects that really have a character who was meant to be a hero. Hm.

Storms of Magic - Draft 1