• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
July Monthly Writing Challenge
« on: July 01, 2017, 04:53:57 PM »
July Writing Challenge

Prompt: Betrayal. Nice and simple, though there are many ways to do it!

Wordcount: 5,000 word maximum. Please remember, this is just a maximum, meaning that you do NOT have to write 5,000 words, it just means that you can't surpass it.
Submission deadline: Monday the 31st July, by 11:59 PM GMT-5 (11:59 PM EDT).

If you already have something written that fits this prompt, you CAN and are encouraged to submit it to the challenge.

Voting will be posted on Tuesday, 1st August, followed by the August challenge prompt.

All entries should be submitted to the writing challenge submission forum, using the submission form. You are allowed to submit your challenge via Google doc link or by uploading a Word doc to a response to this post as an attachment.

Remember, all entries must fit the fantasy genre and must fit the given prompt in some way.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask either here in the thread or send me a PM! Good luck!

Please respond to this post with the following information filled out in order to submit your entry:

Code: [Select]
[b]Title:[/b]
[b]Word count:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b]
[b]Link to story:[/b]
[/size]

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: July Monthly Writing Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »
Bump! Don't forget about this challenge? Anyone planning on submitting something?

I AM going to submit something this time, I just have to figure out how I'm going to make it work with my current characters/project or if I can come up with some other idea for a story to submit just for this challenge.
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

RedShoes

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
Bump! Don't forget about this challenge? Anyone planning on submitting something?

Yes,  probably!  Although I won't have too much time.  Probably just something sort and sweet.  ;)

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 03:55:22 PM »

Yes,  probably!  Although I won't have too much time.  Probably just something sort and sweet.  ;)

Short and sweet is better than nothing at all! :D Now I need to come up with something to submit still....hm.

JayLee

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 01:26:24 PM »
Please respond to this post with the following information filled out in order to submit your entry:
I hope this is the right place.... But I'm gonna do it! I'm doing it!! I regret nothing!!!

Well, here is my first go at the challenges :)

Title: Periodic Table of the Elements
Word count: 107
Summary: A poem I've been working on for 3-4yrs. This is what my brain does in chemistry class. I'm a bit of an Arthurian buff, which is what I was reading at the time, and this was/is (WIP) my attempt to sum up how knights betray themselves in fantasy stories.
Link to story: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rs93cPJso4k2YvuTR-KBCDpKRdg_pYtVTC9t-C6aKyk/edit?usp=sharing
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/

AlexaRene

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 01:46:24 PM »
In an attempt to get my life together I'm turning to writing more. I should be back on Monday with a submission. There's nothing like last minute brainstorming!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »
In an attempt to get my life together I'm turning to writing more. I should be back on Monday with a submission. There's nothing like last minute brainstorming!

Yay! Haha, seriously. I'm still trying to come up with something to write and submit myself. :P It's a bit harder for me 'cause I'm trying to come up with something that doesn't involve the characters in my current project since I'm terrible at writing short stories involving current characters and not making it obvious that it's part of a larger story.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »
Also, to everyone else:

Would everyone be okay with a two or three day extension for the challenge?

There's one member who's asked about getting an extension so he can get something submitted. I'm thinking Tuesday or Wednesday? We'll still post the August challenge on time, but I want to give at least this member and anyone else an extra two or three days if people are okay with it and if there's a chance anyone else will decide to submit something because of it.

Amblygon

• Novice
  • Kris
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 06:36:24 PM »
I would love an extension so I don't have to submit something super unpolished and unfinished (instead it'll just be super unpolished).

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 10:32:20 PM »
I would love an extension so I don't have to submit something super unpolished and unfinished (instead it'll just be super unpolished).

I'm fine with giving an extension. I'm thinking Tuesday night?

Is there anyone else who would submit something if they have until Tuesday to do so?

True Neutral

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 11:35:13 PM »
An extension would be massively helpful. I only just finished July NaNo. I hit goal a while ago, but I had to finish out the chapter and finish connecting the dots.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 11:37:21 PM »
An extension would be massively helpful. I only just finished July NaNo. I hit goal a while ago, but I had to finish out the chapter and finish connecting the dots.

Would getting it in by Tuesday night be enough time? i don't want to go much longer than that since we usually try not to do extensions.

True Neutral

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 08:22:56 AM »

Would getting it in by Tuesday night be enough time? i don't want to go much longer than that since we usually try not to do extensions.

I can try. It depends when I get home.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »
I can try. It depends when I get home.

Hm, okay. I'm okay with giving until Wednesday night if it's really needed but definitely not any longer than that. Would that be better?

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »
We're giving until Wednesday night to get your submissions in!